[bknr-devel] BKNR.datastore: support for serializing/deserializing arrays with complex (list) element-types

Hans Hübner hans.huebner at gmail.com
Wed Dec 7 08:46:54 UTC 2011

Hi Vladimir,

I know that it has been a long time since you posted this patch and I
did not comment, but here is my reply anyway:

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 11:17 PM, Vladimir Sedach <vsedach at gmail.com> wrote:
> Here is the updated patch with backwards compatibility (something
> which I always forget!). Unfortunately it is a bit ugly and I don't
> know how to make it better. I guess one lesson here is to add tags to
> all binary data if you're designing a new serialization scheme.

We already have tags for all data types.  The patch that you've
submitted thus is not really adding the feature at the proper level.
If you are still interested, I would propose that you fix the problem
by adding a new pair of encoding functions for typed arrays
(%encode-typed-array and %decode-typed-array), a new type tag for that
(#\t) and code in encode-array to decide whether an untyped or a typed
array should be written (although I suppose you could always write
typed arrays, too).

Again, sorry for the long delay.  I'm only slowly picking up the work
that I've been deferring for too long.

-Hans