[bknr-devel] bknr.indices, the slot NIL is missing from the object

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Sun Feb 24 20:31:07 UTC 2008

Hi Klaus,

I have given this some more thought:  Supporting multiple stores in the
indexing subsystem is possible, but it is rather complicated because an
additional dispatch in the INDEXED-CLASS metaclass is required to make the
indices dependent on *STORE*.  Currently, the indices are stored in the
INDEXED-CLASS instance which would be shared by multiple worlds running in
the same Lisp image.

The issue here is:  The change is relatively complex, requires testing and I
don't need it to support our development style.  In our architecture, the
persistent objects make up one world, and if I need multiple worlds, I start
multiple Lisps.  I would not benefit from running mulltiple independent
applications within one Lisp image, and the lack of isolation would really
be more bothersome than anything else.

That said, if you can make a good case for the functionality, I would try to
implement in the not-so-far future.  Please provide me with a good
application architecture example that would be significantly harder to
implement in multiple Lisp images.

-Hans