[Bese-devel] ANN: UCW-CORE is ready. The future is now!

Drew Crampsie drewc at tech.coop
Wed Jan 7 02:38:36 UTC 2009

2009/1/6 Mariano Montone <marianomontone at gmail.com>:
> I've been trying to port an application I have and have some questions:
>
> 1) Why have you opted to use (call class-name &rest args) instead of (call
> component)? I found the older protocol more flexible as I was able to create
> my component at will and then call it.

No good reason.. i didn't know people used CALL that way... i usually
use CALL-COMPONENT.

Still, that's no excuse, and the next update will include a new CALL.
Does something like the following meet your needs (untested)?

(defun/cc call (thing &rest args)
  (call-component *source-component*
		  (etypecase thing
		    (symbol (apply #'make-instance thing args))
		    (standard-object thing))))

> 2) What happens to some of the components like task-component,
> simple-select-component, login, etc. The files and the code is available,
> although is not loaded and they belong to a non existent package
> it.bese.ucw. I can replace the package by ucw and load the files of course;
> it's just that I wonder if there is a different way of doing things now.

Not really .. i just have not included any components that i have yet
to test. If you use some components and can confirm that they work,
please send in a patch including them in the src/ucw-standard/
component tree.

Cheers,

drewc