[Bese-devel] UCW made easy ?

Xavier Maillard maillaxa at fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 15 04:55:58 UTC 2008

Henrik Hjelte a écrit :
> On Sat, Jul 12, 2008 at 10:20 AM, Xavier Maillard <maillaxa at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Long time no try. I am planning to write several webapps at work and as I
>> want to have fun doing so, I am planning to use Common Lisp.
>>
>> I haven't followed UCW discussion for ages and last time I have tried to
>> make it running here, I failed.
>>
>> Are things better today ? Is UCW asdf-install'able ?
>>

> I don't think anyone have wanted to make it asdf-installable, darcs is
> the prefered way.

No problem with that.
> To have an environment set up to avoid problems you should use darcs
> to get the sources,  use sbcl and linux. Use the http or iolib
> backend, and be preparedto learn how it works from the sources.
Still no problem with that.
> guess that almost everyone that really use ucw these days have
> tweakedit in some way to suite them.
>

> I don't want to discourage you, but I think that you must be able to
> debug lisp problems in order to work comfortably with ucw. If you gave
> up trying to start it last time, chances are you might not like it
> this time either.

Last time I have tried, I was in an urge to build a quick webapp for
work. Today, I still have
work to do but I have more time since I am the "project leader". If I
choose a Lisp framework
it is only because 1) I love common lisp and 2) I think it could be fun
to build a web app with either
UCW or KPAX.

In fact, I want to use the best project _but_ I need to be sure I would
not be alone if something
is going wrong ;)

Also, do you have "real life" examples of what can be achieved with UCW
? KPAX author gave some
demos about the possibility offered by KPAX (a minimalistic reddit-like
clone for example) and this is
exactly why, KPAX is still on my list of possible candidates.

Last, how is UCW development organized ? Is Marco still leading UCW ?
Did it change ? Etc...

Regards,

Xavier Maillard