[Fwd: Re: [Bese-devel] simple submit sans javascript.]

Waldo Rubinstein waldo at trianet.net
Tue May 9 22:33:26 UTC 2006

I didn't meant to criticize your patch. As a matter of fact, I
haven't even had time to look at it, but based on your comments (and
glancing at the patch), I agree with what you've done. I was just
commenting on your general comments regarding the use of JS.

Yes, I agree with you (and Christian and the others) that in general,
forms shouldn't require JS in order to submit or operate. I never
_just_ rely on JS for my forms (neither submissions nor validation).
However, form submission using Ajax is also nice. The simplest
example I can provide is http://www.ajaxscaffold.com/
associations_demo/ (I apologize for polluting this list with RoR
stuff). Just play with the actions of the People or the Pets list.

One last pollution suggestion is the way RoR encapsulates Prototype
by checking if JS is enabled and automatically using Ajax. Otherwise,
it uses simple form submissions. This is hidden from the developer by
providing macro-like calls (AKA form helpers) to the Prototype
library, so the developer is hardly ever working with Prototype
directly.

- Waldo