[Bese-devel] Re: ucw boxset

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue May 2 11:38:25 UTC 2006

"Vagif Hagverdiyev" <vagif at cox.net> writes:

> Does not work on windows lispworks.
>
> 1. Windows does not have symlinks. So asdf cannot find files.
> I solved this problem following way:
> 1. delete subfolder systems

we know, when we generating the boxset, exactly which .asd files we
need. i've changed the build script so that a lisp file is created
which explicitly loads all these .asd files. asdf:*central-registry*
is still set to ucw-boxset/systems, but i don't think it matters
anymore.

> 2. When loading lispworks.lisp gives error "package comm. Not found".
> Solved by providing (require "comm") before loading lispworks.lisp

is this trivial-sockets' lispworks.lisp? i tried with the personal
edition on MacOS X and not only was it not neccessary but (require
:comm) failed with an error about comm not existing.

> 3. When starting ucw server with httpd gives error: trivial-sockets bla bla
> not supported.
> Do not know what that means, tried to switch to aserve, got another error,
> gave up.

what lisp are you testing this on? i had to make a few changes to
trivial sockets (after downloading the boxset apply the patches i've
attached to the trivial-sockets directory).

> This is great effort, and in right direction, that you decided to assemble a
> single download-install package.
>
> But I think it lacks certain thing essential for success of ANY web
> framework.
> In my opinion it is: SPECIFICLY TARGETING WINDOWS!!
> When you will be able to create a download-install package that will
> smoothly run on windows, then you will see start of wide adoption of ucw.

cool, go for it! the scripts used to generate the boxset are in a
darcs repo at:

http://common-lisp.net/project/ucw/repos/ucw-boxset

atm they assume openmcl and a unix system (it's just a bunch of shell
scripts) but any patches wolud be welcome.