[Bese-devel] Re: attachtty --eval, repos layout

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Sun Mar 5 12:15:56 UTC 2006

Wojciech Kaczmarek <wojtekk at kofeina.net> writes:

> Hello!
>
> First I'd like to thank you all for involvement in ucw; being a lurker
> here for a while I must say that you've created a great community and
> of course stunning piece of software.
>
> Now some beginner's questions:
>
> What's the magic with `attachtty --eval' in ucwctl script? I haven't
> found any --eval switch, neither in debian version nor darcs repos
> hosted at common-lisp.net. I saw that darcs version of attachtty adds
> a [cmd] arg, but it seems to work without --eval.

there is some confusion regarding detachtty. one of the version's i'm
currently using (and the one ucwctl is built for) is very old and
contains dettachtty-9 plus the patch located here:

the other version i'm using is detchatty-9 plus kmr's patch:

this what you'll find in the darcs repo located at:

http://common-lisp.net/project/bese/repos/detachtty/

kmr's patch does exactly what mine did, though without the explicit
--eval parameter, and adds support for timeouts. i'd suggest uing this
version (and i'll update the cliki page for detachtty to say so).

> What is your preferred repos layout for your web applications,
> assuming that you're using darcs? I can imagine two trivial
> alternatives:
> - incorporating apps into the ucw tree so it's all one repository,
> which gives a chanse of trying hotfixes to the ucw which are related
> to the specific state of application code;
> - separating apps and ucw completely.

generally i have a seprerate repository for my app. i copy ucw's
start.lisp script into the app's repository and edit it there. since i
have multiple apps on the same machine, and each one may use slightly
differente versions of things, i'll also add these lines to the
begining of my start.lisp script:

(require :asdf)
(setf asdf:*central-repository* (list "/path/to/app/systems/"))

then in /path/to/app/systems/ i'll put all the systems i need for that
app, if i want to keep using an old version of ucw (or elephant or
slime or whatever) all i need to do is copy the code and update the
links. i generally don't keep the symlinks under version control.

> I have in mind several repos push/pull chains between development,
> production and eg. ucw_public, but I'd love to hear from you what are
> your preferred configurations based on your experience not only
> assumptions.

at the end of the day i honestly think it's fundamentally a question
of what you personally feel most natural with. moving code around
sholud be as quick and intuitive as possible, even if it's not very
'clean'.