[Bese-devel] reducing amount of javascript code for form validation

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 18:58:49 UTC 2006

> Thank you for the hint! As I see, it is possible to use some of the ajax
> branch features to improve the code even more. What is unclear though is
> how to do it in practice:

_ajax will be _dev and _dev will be _stable. the current ajax branch is only
temporary, not a fork. there were some backwards incompatible changes with
some refactorings that were much easier to manage in a different branch.

- On one hand, if my changes are used in original ucw branch that seems
> to be good. But I do not know how to put them there.
> - And maybe it is possible to put them into ajax branch too.
> - But if I try to modify my changes to benefit from ajax branch
> features, they will become incompatible with the original ucw branch,
> won't they?

almost all patches will reach the _stable branch sooner or later so it's
wiser to do new development in the ajax branch. if Marco is happy with the
code and there are no more pending large-scale changes then the branch
renames will be done in the following weeks.

Well.. (ucw.forms.validators.number.between field-id 10 20) is a LISP
> notation in the LISP code. It is eventually translated into JavaScript.
> And that JavaScript code seems to be rather large. I think it is
> possible to create a small library of useful functions and call them if
> it is necessary. That would reduce page size and improve readability.

as a personal opinion, readability of the lisp code is far more important
then the generated page size or the readability of the generated js. of
course it does not mean that the latter two are not important at all...

> fixed in ajax: <ucw:script generates non-toplevel js unless asked for
> > the opposite and it can also be asked to compile the parenscript at
> > compile-time.
>
> Does it mean, that these patches won't be put into original ucw branch
> and will exist only in ajax branch?

see above

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"

Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)