[Bese-devel] Re: ucw config stuff

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Tue Jul 18 21:36:08 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Tue, 18 Jul 2006 18:12:41 +0200, AJ Armstrong wrote:
> With regard to Marco's desire to drop the "config stuff":

And it seems I need to speak up, too, as the first author of the whole
"config stuff"...  :-D

> Just at the moment, I'm using a global server install, including the
> /etc/ucw files, a /var/lib/ucw/wwwroot, and the ucwctl scripts.  The
> idea is that ucw will start as a service and get its configuration
> from the contents of /etc/ucw.

This was the idea behind my patches: prepare ucw as a global server
service, à la Apache, still letting a "normal" user to start it.

> I have no issue with the global configuration stuff moving around,
> but I want to make sure that it is present *somewhere* and request
> that some time be spent deciding on a consistent and standard
> implementation that we can be reasonably comfortable isn't going to
> change every time a commit happens.

FWIW, I think that configuration stuff belongs to /etc (or, obviously,
~/.ucw in case of non-wide ones).  And that was the plan behind
ucwctl...

I think that in case of deletion of the config stuff, I'll probably
re-add it with a Debian-specific patch, as soon as I'll finish the
package.  This because not the local admin neither a normal user are
allowed to modify files in /usr (except /usr/local), as ucw will be
probably installed in /usr/share/common-lisp/source/ucw/ (or something
similar).

Obviously, I'm for sure for a upstream (and general) solution :-)

Thx, bye,
Gismo / Luca