[Bese-devel] Fwd: After a hiatus, came back to UCW & `UCW Intro'; having problems with `UCW Intro'

Ties Stuij cjstuij at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 17:38:38 UTC 2006

> Thanks for your help. I am sorry if I sounded presumptuous. I didn't mean
> to. I appreciate volunteerism and try to do a little of it when I can.

If anyone should feel sorry it's me for making you feel guilty. Just thought
the situation was quite comical.

> I would be interested in helping with a UCW tutorial (especially if it
> will help me get UCW working!), either yours or Friedrich's or a new one. I
> believe I can write fairly well in English, even on technical subjects.
> Maybe I could even work a bit on release engineering, but I don't think I am
> Lisp-savvy enough for that part.

Sure, help out. Would be appreciated. I've seem to have run a bit out of
steam on the tutorial. The thing is, i have the sources in a slightly hacked
up gigamonkeys markup format, so:

- i can put the thing up on the ucw trac wiki. I believe it accepts html,
but i can't find an edit button somewhere (is it not public anymore?). might
be handy for others to participate easily.
- i can send the sources of my markup software. That way the text would be
easy to edit, but the text should be put in a darcs repository or something.

I'd be for the first. Any ideas?

If I work on a tutorial for UCW, I would want to stick to a known ucw-boxset
> tarball, even if it gets way out of date -- and a very late version of SBCL
> (or whatever the UCW developers would like me to use on Linux) on top of a
> late 2.6.x version of the Linux kernel. Maybe the out-of-date ucw-boxset
> tarball could be stored on the tutorial page.

Good idea.

> For the purposes of getting a full set of compatible software for the
> tutorial, I would just download standard binaries where possible and use
> compilation from source where it is not possible to use standard binaries.
> (I would not use the Debian packages, even though my computer runs on
> Debian).

But than you would have to support all the relevant cl implementation times
versions, or? Doesn't seem practical to me.

Greets,
Ties