[Bese-devel] Fwd: After a hiatus, came back to UCW & `UCW Intro'; having problems with `UCW Intro'

thomas.elam at wipro.com thomas.elam at wipro.com
Wed Jul 12 12:04:48 UTC 2006

Ties,

Thanks for your help. I am sorry if I sounded presumptuous. I didn't mean to. I appreciate volunteerism and try to do a little of it when I can.

Now I will try the suggestions you gave today (and yesterday). As for giving you more to go on, I will work on that too, but offhand I wouldn't know what information you might need.

I would be interested in helping with a UCW tutorial (especially if it will help me get UCW working!), either yours or Friedrich's or a new one. I believe I can write fairly well in English, even on technical subjects. Maybe I could even work a bit on release engineering, but I don't think I am Lisp-savvy enough for that part. I don't think I'll be much good on reading a lot of complex Lisp code either (of the kind that is full of macros and MOP things, for example).

If I work on a tutorial for UCW, I would want to stick to a known ucw-boxset tarball, even if it gets way out of date -- and a very late version of SBCL (or whatever the UCW developers would like me to use on Linux) on top of a late 2.6.x version of the Linux kernel. Maybe the out-of-date ucw-boxset tarball could be stored on the tutorial page. For the purposes of getting a full set of compatible software for the tutorial, I would just download standard binaries where possible and use compilation from source where it is not possible to use standard binaries. (I would not use the Debian packages, even though my computer runs on Debian).

I really appreciate UCW, since I built a small, personalised website without web continuations and can see the clarity to be obtained from a more linear logic.

Regards,
Tom

--
`Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.'

-- Margaret Mead