[Bese-devel] say a warm welcome to ucw+, event-based ucw implementing ajax.

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 11:21:41 UTC 2006

> the event handling coverage in <ucw: tags is not 100% because i
> concentrated on those events first that i needed myself, but there's already
> on-change support for <ucw:select for example. and because of that
> "unmaintainable hairy macro" it's 3 lines to add support for new events.

i must add here that there is certainly room in the ajax branch (or in ucw
in general) for features like transparently propagating client side events
to the correspoding components on the server. these features could
seamlessly integrate with the rest of the <ucw: tags, but it leads to
something else then what ucw is currently. we briefly talked about it on
irc, that there could be either a new layer/api in ucw or an entire new
project based on ucw that tries to simulate the component based desktop gui
model. (something like Echo)

hm, now that i'm thinking about it, propagating subscribed events from the
browser to the server side components with an api for component invalidation
and ajax rerendering would be quite easy. but it's not priority for me...

but imho, that model wouldn't be any simpler, especially taking into account
all the limiting factors of the underlying stateless web stuff that the
developers must keep in mind even then. and without a very careful design it
could also be a limiting factor when you happen to have the need to fall
back to the lower levels.

on the other hand a smart mixiture of the two models is an interesting idea,
but it would lead to philosophical discussion on vapourware from my side...
so i better stop here and note again that it's an imho. but either way, i
think the refactorings in the ajax branch make such a hipothetical
implementation much easier.

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"

Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)