[Bese-devel] say a warm welcome to ucw+, event-based ucw implementing ajax.

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 09:22:18 UTC 2006

let me drop in a few details about the non-subjective stuff.

- Coupling controller and view makes "back-button" support impossible to
> implement since frames are going to expire and ucw will tell you "No
> Frame/Action found". This is a very big design handicap since average
> web users will use "backbutton" a lot.  I'vent implemented back-button
> support yet since i couldn't able to run backbutton support of
> dojo.io.bind but the rest is trivial, just go to previous frame and call
> render method of the current-window.

that's what the :make-new-frame parameter is for. if an action only changes
a bit on the server or submits a form without any actions then you most
probably don't need to create a new frame for it. and then having less
actions create a new frame then the frames will not expire and back button
works as usual... (and automatic frame creation is a TODO entry currently)
the example apps in ajax demonstrate it.

- Current ucw_ajax supports only onclick event which is not enough to
> implement an interactive web application.  To hook another type of
> event, users have to implement additional js stack and modify <ucw: tags
> which is a hard task for average user to do.

the event handling coverage in <ucw: tags is not 100% because i concentrated
on those events first that i needed myself, but there's already on-change
support for <ucw:select for example. and because of that "unmaintainable
hairy macro" it's 3 lines to add support for new events.

i admit the naming of stuff is a bit misleading. it started as an experiment
and the name remained ucw.io.ajax-onclick which is in fact a wrapper around
dojo.io.bind and is not onclick specific anymore. refactoring is in the TODO
queue (as always :)

- afaik, ucw_ajax does not support IE6. (Attila, please correct me if
> i'm wrong, dojo.dom.textContent fails in IE6)

unfortunately i'm working with ff only. this is due to not having an extra
machine and not having a linux version of ie... :)

but recently i tested opera 9/linux and it worked fine without paying any
attention to it. so i think making it work on a recent windoze ie is
probably going to be easy. (i must note here a small but tricky fix from
Alexander Kjeldaas that makes the dom stuff work on opera, thanks!)

*Currently*, as 07.07.2006, parenscript is broken. So, please unpull the
> patches belonging to that date.  I'm sure Attila Lendvai is going to fix
> it soon.

it's not broken, it's just changed... :) (although in a not 100% backward
compatible way, see the corresponding mail for details)

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"

Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället (Wild Strawberries)