[Bese-devel] Templating

Evrim ULU evrim at core.gen.tr
Thu Jan 12 20:51:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

This is my very post to list :) First of all, thanx for this great web
framework, i've quited java after several years.

I won't ask a simple "How to" question, but a workflow question about
web development. I've enough knowledge about templating and tried most
of the java frameworks. (struts, xml, cocoon, jsf, seam etc.) I've tried
two methodologies suggessted by ucw about templating:

* First one is "do it inside the code" which results html generation
inside any render() method of a component.  This requires developer to
form up html pages.
* Second method is simple use "TAL/TAGLIB" approach just like java. This
seems it allows web designer(not a developer) to shape up html pages.

My problem is about the web development methodology. Let us assume, we
have a team of people who are encouraged to develop web applications.
The main problem here is I could never achieved my
"dream-viewer/photoshop" addicted web designers to learn JSP/Struts (or
TAL for ucw case) tags. Since they'r not programmers, they just know
html and possibly some javascript.

In the light of this knowledge, i'm looking for solutions about an
applicable methodology. How do people here develop web apps in
coordination with web designers? Is it right to expect web-designers to
learn tags? Which method to use in order to form-up a good templating
system with ucw/lisp? How to bring developer and designer together so
that they can sum up their work? Is this method sufficient and agile?
And finally, if there is a method, which metrics exists and how one can
measure these metrics?

I'm not expecting a concrete answer, rather I want to discuss how ucw
attacks this kind of problems.

Thnx.
Evrim.