[Bese-devel] dojo+ucw

henrik hjelte henrik at evahjelte.com
Thu Feb 23 16:56:45 UTC 2006

On tor, 2006-02-23 at 16:07 +0200, Evrim ULU wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could somebody summarize what is the current situation of dojo
> integration? Is there an official way to integrate dojo with ucw?
At the moment I think there are several people working with dojo
but not much collaboration. But it would be nice if we could discuss
possible ways to share knowledge and code, and the relation between dojo
and ucw.

Here are my thoughts:

Dojo is a javascript toolkit (or javascript library if you want) with
several aspects.
* The dojo event system , now in ucw_dev, which Marco mentioned.

* The dojo io system, a wrapper round XmlHttpRequest for ajax-style
calls. Several examples have been posted to this list on how to do this,
but there is no "official" way. Dojo io could be integrated with UCW if
you  want to make components with javascript client code.

* The dojo widgets. I use them and like them, but not everyone will. So
I don't think they should be a required part of UCW.

And the dojo widgets are not exactly stable and well-documented right
now, and having ucw depend on the dojo widgets would be a possible pain
for both beginners and experienced lispers starting out with ucw.

I would suggest this:
Have ucw integrated with a small and fast dojo build, configured for
what is needed in the form of events and io.

Make a separate project ucw-dojo for those of us that are interested in
more usage of dojo. This could be either in a sub-directory of the ucw
project, or as a separate project under bese or common-lisp.net. This
mailing list could maybe be used, or is it better with a new one?

What do people and especially Marco think?

> Last night,  we discussed our tree navigation problem with Aycan. We are
> needing a dragndroppable tree and it seems dojo has it (EditorTree).
>
> We know that ucw is lacking ajax functionality and Aycan told me that we
> can use dojo namespace with neither tal templates nor parenscript.
Don't be sad, I currently have an EditorTree created in UCW with drag-and-drop
and callbacks. When I made this I did a demo of how to make an EditorTree
in ucw, so I have some code to start this project with. I have some macros
to define dojo widgets in yaclml-style which I recently improved.

To avoid hand-coding dojo properties in the tag definitions I also started
 to make a script that would parses the dojo sources to extract all
properties of the widgets. But then I found out that the dojo project is
making a similar parser in PHP!, so I am kind of waiting for theirs to improve.

And I have made a JSON parser/generator that comes in handy for dojo work.
darcs get http://common-lisp.net/project/cl-json/darcs/cl-json

common-lisp.net is going down soon, but I can clean up my code a bit and
then put it somewhere, depending on what we decide.

/Henrik Hjelte