[Bese-devel] Development/Production Environment

Daniel Salama lists at infoway.net
Wed Aug 2 19:58:40 UTC 2006

Hi guys,

I hope I'm not so much off-topic here, but here I go :)

I was watching Marco's hellow-world video as well as slime's video. I
have been able to work with Slime and UCW and everything locally.
However, I was testing how the deployment environment would look like
have a few questions/problems/suggestions I'd like to ask for some help.

First, starting with the hello-world movie, Marco mentions the
environment to be SBCL, Apache, mod_lisp. I was able to follow it by
using the embedded web server in ucw. It would be really great if
someone could document or "video-record" how to setup up ucw with
Apache and mod_lisp.

Second, moving onto the slime movie, and this is more along the Emacs
line but I'm sure the answers will help me and others, the way Marco
uses Emacs to connect to a remote instance using Tramp looks really
good. I believe that is the appropriate way to connect to production
systems. However, I've been trying for a long time to setup Emacs
with Tramp and connect to a remote server. The connectivity works
just fine. However, when I try to load or save a remote file, I keep
getting an error message in the status line (after connecting via
SSH) that says: "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil". I don't know
what that means. Looking at the messages buffer, I see:

Error: File error: Encoding remote file failed
vc-file-clearprops: Wrong type argument: stringp, nil

I still don't know what that means. Looking around, I think it has to
do with mimencode/uuencode. I don't have those tools on the remote
system (Fedora FC4). So, I read that by issuing (setq tramp-default-
method "scp") in my emacs profile should fix it, but that didn't. I
also loaded Perl MIME::Tools, which have those libraries, but that
didn't work either.

I can continue developing in my local PC, but am afraid that sooner
or later I need to get that resolved and it's gonna come back to
haunt me.

Lastly, I think it would really benefit to have some video of an
actual "debugging" or maintenance session of ucw over a remote
connection. Meaning, showing how a web application could generate an
error on the browser. The programmer would connect via slime to the
remote machine, fix the error on the LISP instance, and then refresh
the page and the error be fixed.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Daniel