[Bese-devel] Re: Load a custom ucwctl.conf

Luca Capello luca at pca.it
Tue Apr 18 08:15:48 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 03:44:56 +0200, Nathan Bird wrote:
> Side note: Does stop.lisp still exist? Is it supposed to, browsing
> the darcsweb version of ucw_dev, the file is gone from ucw_dev/etc,
> but ucwctl is still making sure one exists somewhere. (I commented
> that out for the second). The patch comments of late seem to be
> leaning towards removing it?

Ehm...  My mistake, I forgot to `darcs add`.  A patch is in the repo.

> I like the idea of --no-detachtty, but running a second command for
> attach isn't too bad in the meantime.

Well, I intend the --no-detachtty option as unusual: you want to test
a particular case and you don't want to type a second command to
attach.  This could be useful to perform the first test when you
install/grab all the necessary dependencies, too (as Ties suggests in
the README).

And obviously this is not the default situation...

> In my global ucwctl.conf I am currently specifying only the
> lisp="SBCL" and the global start.lisp. I then try to launch it with
> ./ucwctl -c ../etc/conf.lisp start. This tries to get everything
> going. It looks like it is correctly using the $HOME/var.

That's good :-)

> Aside from that observation it is hard to test out the rest of the
> combinations because I still have the same (similar? Not sure) other
> problems...

OK, let us try to solve them.

> When I try to run it with cl-launch it seems to get as far as trying
> to start the backend before complaining that
> trivial-sockets:open-server is undefined[0]. But I then can't
> inspect anymore because of --disable-debugger. I've tried removing
> all reference to "--disable-debugger" in cl-launch that I could
> find, but apparently that wasn't enough :-(

Could you report this bug in cl-launch (the --disable-debugger thing)
to its author?  His e-mail address is the cl-launch headers ;-)

For the trivial-sockets problem, see below.

> For reference, from ucw_dev/etc/, "CONFIGFILE=conf.lisp VARROOT=~
> sbcl --load start.lisp" does work just fine.

That's strange...  Do you specify VARROOT= or LOGROOT=?  I guess the
latter, because this is the variable src/default.lisp try to get:

  (defvar *ucw-log-root-directory* (arnesi:getenv "LOGROOT"))

Anyway, it seems to work as expected :-)

> As far as I can tell cl-launch is doing its damnedest to mess up
> every assumption I have ever made about how to startup lisp
> :-). <Nathan repeats "With broken assumptions comes learning" ten
> times>.

It seems that the tests I made before committing my patch weren't
enough...  :-(

> [0]: Asdf didn't complain that it couldn't find that package, so I
[...]
> I'm pretty sure that there is only one copy of trivial-sockets on
> the system. It is linked into sbcl/site-systems.

Is your trivial-sockets version up-to-date with upstream?  I remember
I had problems with trivial-sockets and sbcl, then solved by version
0.3.

I just tried to fire up UCW on another machine (Debian, but no c-l-c)
and it works with no problem (ucw with my latest patch, detachtty and
cl-launch).

> [...] I'll try again tomorrow.

I'll wait for your feedbacks ;-)

Thx, bye,