[Bese-devel] performance

Alex Mizrahi alex.mizrahi at gmail.com
Thu Nov 24 23:29:15 UTC 2005

> > slower. as i understand it does lengthy initialization. further using
> > links appears to be faster.

> So the test is of limited value if it depends on what the page "does".

this test tests initialization of page containing some dozen of UCW
components, no external stuff. i think real-world application will
have much more components. as we see, initialization isn't very fast..

> Ucw "overhead" is really what happens before and after the application
> code, so in order to measure this have a simple page that shows a "Hello
> world" message. This could be compared as a percentage to timings for
> downloading a static file from apache in order to abstract away hardware
> differences.

UCW is quite a comples thing with it's components and continuation
support. at least it holds continuation on each page access, so memory
is constantly growing (and triggering GC), unless you tune something.
so it's quite hard to benchmark..
there's no single point of "overhead" -- some overhead for component
initialization, some overhead for continuation storing.

> This will of course make ucw seem slow, and static html is no real
> alternative to ucw. Maybe one could have a PHP (or Java or whatever)
> solution to the problem of rendering "Hello world",

<?php echo "hello world"; ?>

as i remember php has about 0% overhead for such things, comparing to
static library. but it degrades when some library is used -- it has to
parse source code of libraries on each access, also interpreter is
slow..