[Bese-devel] Introduction and questions...

Adam Jones ajones1 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 10 16:17:30 UTC 2005

On 11/10/05, Asbjørn Bjørnstad <asbjxrn at bjxrnstad.net> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2005, at 10:30 PM, Henrik Hjelte wrote:
>
> > On tor, 2005-11-10 at 04:15 -0800, Drew Crampsie wrote:
> >
> >> I plan on releasing my Dojo+ucw+lol stuff, just as soon as i find our
> >> where all the memory is going (memory usage swells after a day of
> >> usage
> >> and eventually kills sbcl. bad code somewhere).
>
> > Why not release it to the darcs repository and have some more eyes on
> > the bugs? I am currently  building my own stuff around dojo, which
> > seems
> > like a waste of human energy. But I really need it now, that's why.
>
> I gotta agree. (Although I can understand the reluctance of showing
> the world code I'd considered half-done myself.)
>
> As long as we know about memory leaks or in general know the alpha/beta
> state of the code, I'd consider it a non-issue. I don't think anyone
> would immediately put it to production use.

Actually I think drew is on the right idea here. Someone (I think it
was paul graham) commented on how an initial launch of a product that
is not ready for use will lead people to not try additional versions.
Although it is still not at a full release (0.14.3 with other packages
even lower at the time of this writing) ruby on rails is usable now. I
mention this because lisp on lines fits in the same product space for
lisp as ruby on rails does for ruby. When anyone sees it they will
draw comparisons between the two, and if LoL does not have the same
kind of functionality that RoR did at release they will make some bad
assumptions.

I would say make the code available by request. That allows the people
who really want to play with it (i.e. enough to send out an email) to
get to it, and keeps anyone who is just browsing from getting a bad
idea. It allows more eyes that are willing to help fix the problem to
look at it.

-Adam