[Bese-devel] Introduction and questions...

Drew Crampsie drewc at tech.coop
Thu Nov 10 12:15:19 UTC 2005

Marco Baringer wrote:

>>Specifically I was wondering what kind of support there is for
>>integrated javascript type stuff. Maybe I am not really understanding
>>what I am looking at here but extending the user interface with
>>javascript seems like a pretty natural concept for ucw. Let me know if
>>there is anything I can do to help out. At this point I would probably
>>only be able to pester people into writing down/handing me
>>documentation for stuff, but I am willing to take that up if it is
>>needed.
>

> The first thing you could do is point us (iow me) to a javascript
> library. i've tried rico+prototype+behaviour, drew seems to use dojo
> and i think some people are using mochikit (or whatever it's called),
> tying ucw to one particular library would allow us to move forward on
> a lot of stuff.

I can't recommend dojo enough...  ,they've implemented CLOS style method
combination, a decent inheritance system, and a much cleaner event
mechanism. IMO the best js library around (pun intended). Also, beyond
the AJAX stuff, there is a widget library that can't be beat.

I plan on releasing my Dojo+ucw+lol stuff, just as soon as i find our
where all the memory is going (memory usage swells after a day of usage
and eventually kills sbcl. bad code somewhere).

drewc