[Bese-devel] Introduction and questions...

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Nov 9 13:22:00 UTC 2005

Adam Jones <ajones1 at gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all, I'm kind of new to the list, the programming language, and at
> least half of the concepts involved here, so if any of what follows is
> either dumb or simply does not make sense please go easy on the
> newbie.

i promise.

> This project looks really interesting, and I was wondering aside from
> the documentation available from the website are there any more
> tutorials available?

Alberto Santini is working on a newbie quick start guide. Other than
that there is nothing going on that i know of.

>                      Are there any other projects going on that use
> UCW that mights be interesting?

there's drew's lisp-on-lines which looks pretty cool, but that's about
it.

>                                 If I decide to take tons of notes
> while working on learning this and want to turn them into some
> reference documentation who should I burden that with?

me.

> Specifically I was wondering what kind of support there is for
> integrated javascript type stuff. Maybe I am not really understanding
> what I am looking at here but extending the user interface with
> javascript seems like a pretty natural concept for ucw. Let me know if
> there is anything I can do to help out. At this point I would probably
> only be able to pester people into writing down/handing me
> documentation for stuff, but I am willing to take that up if it is
> needed.

The first thing you could do is point us (iow me) to a javascript
library. i've tried rico+prototype+behaviour, drew seems to use dojo
and i think some people are using mochikit (or whatever it's called),
tying ucw to one particular library would allow us to move forward on
a lot of stuff.

in particular i'm toying with some ideas on building a ucw form
library (seperating out vladimir's excellent form stuff from the
presentation stuff) which would benifit greatly from javascript
integration.

however, any and all documentation work you can do wolud be greatly
appreciated. Most of ucw's documentation is embedded in the source
code itself (and then extracted via qbook), if you can work this way
that'd be great, but if you think a seperate document (text, html, pdf
whatever) is better i'll happily take that too. (basically i'll take
anything and everything i can get).