[Bese-devel] UCW and Unicode

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Tue Nov 8 18:24:04 UTC 2005

Jan Rychter <jan at rychter.com> writes:

> I tried to use UCW in an application with Unicode content. It turns out
> that there are some problems.
>
> First, logging with loglevel +dribble+ won't work, as the logging stream
> isn't able to accept utf-8.

is adding an :external-format parameter to the stream-log-appender
class enough? (this would then get passed to with-open-file)

> Second, <:as-html escapes non-ascii characters, which really isn't
> what you normally want.

the html escaping is handled by the WRITE-AS-HTML function in arnesi,
can you suggest the changes we need? we already have code which always
uses write-char (as opposed to escaping) on unicode sbcl.

> Third (and perhaps this is a result of the above) textarea interface
> element escapes non-ascii input as well, so you get escaped
> characters in your lisp strings.

how does url-encoding deal with non-ascii (multi-byte) chars?