[Bese-devel] Temporarily storing form data

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Fri Nov 4 08:20:04 UTC 2005

> Jan Rychter wrote:
> > How would I go about saving form data when clicking on action links?  I
> > have a form-element based form and I'd like to provide a link for the
> > user to go somewhere else to choose an image, then return to the
> > form. Form data should be preserved.
>
> You have two choices really. Fancy Javascript, or use a button instead
> of a link for your image chooser.
>
> Links do not submit forms, so the data is never transfered from the
> browser when the link is clicked, and therfore there is no way to save
> it serverside.

[...]

> Eventually of course you tire of doing it manually, and come up with
> monstrosities like this (And spend a hell of a lot of time counting
> backticks):

[...snipped to protect innocent bystanders...]

> Which gets called in monstrosites like this :

[...]

> I suggest using a button... it's much easier. :)

Thanks for the detailed answer! Since I care about the quality of my
sleep, I decided to just go ahead with buttons. It is easier
indeed. Perhaps one day the scary stuff will go into UCW, and then I'll
reconsider.

I somehow thought one can easily switch from a button to a link.

--J.