[Bese-devel] sbcl / swank

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Thu Mar 31 08:49:17 UTC 2005

Keith Irwin <keith.irwin at gmail.com> writes:

> Folks--
>
> I *finally* got UCW examples up and running.  If you're thinking about
> tutorials, just some basic config stuff would be nice.  For instance,
> using mod_lisp2, you have to set an Alias in http.conf in order to get
> the stylesheet to serve up.

You do? Isn't symlinking from htdocs enough?

> A basic quick how-to for starting/stopping the server would be nice,
> too (though I got hints from init.lisp).

Real Soon Now (TM).

> So, the one problem I have is trying to connect to the running server via slime.
>
>  * emacs from cvs
>  * latest slime (cvs -q update)
>  * sbcl 0.8.20 (on ubuntu: i.e., threads)
>  * ucw 0.3.7
>
> To reproduce:
>
> ----
> gnome-terminal
> sbcl
>  * (load "init.lisp")
> <watch spewage>
>
> start up a new emacs
> M-x slime-connect <ret> 127.0.0.1 <ret> 4005
> ----
>
> Slime then seems to just hang there.  However, if I go to the terminal
> and hit C-c, effectively shuttdown something (the socket connection is
> there, I think, but nothing gets served), slime then will connect.
>
> * If, in emacs/slime, I do a (ucw:shutdown-server ...), I'm fine.
>
> * If I then do: (ucw:startup-server ...), the server starts, but the
> repl is blocked.
>
> * If I instead go to the terminal and (ucw:startup-server), the
> emacs/slime repl is blocked as well.
>
> Is this expected behavior?  (I tried starting a new swank listener
> from the admin console, no go either.)

It looks like ucw is acting like a single thread lisp. this is exactly
how ucw works on, for example, clisp or sbcl/ppc. what's the value of
ucw::*have-threads*? what happens if you type, at the repl:

(swank-backend:spawn (lambda () (sleep 30))
                     :name "zzzz")

> Just to test, I opened a terminal, started sbcl, (require 'swank),
> (create-swank-server), then opened a fresh new emacs, M-x
> slime-connect yadda yadda and it worked, so I'm guessing it's not at
> least an obvious config issue outside of UCW itself.
>
> SO, maybe this is a bug?  Perhaps it's an FAQ?

sounds like a bug to me.