[Bese-devel] Re: Araneida backends and regexp-entry-point

Maciek Pasternacki maciekp at japhy.fnord.org
Mon Dec 5 22:59:58 UTC 2005

On Sweetmorn, The Aftermath 44, 3171 YOLD, Aleksandar Bakic wrote:

> 3. Your %recode... function breaks when I enter some Unicode characters in a
> form; the errors is something like "cannot encode <some unicode character> in
> :latin1".

What is your locale?  Try pulling my patches from ucw_dev (exactly,
the `Recode string from Araneida to current application's default
charset; when decoding is not possible, keep value as byte array.'
one).  Probably you use Latin1 locale, so it's sbcl's default charset;
now default charset is taken from application object, and default
charset for app on Unicode-enabled sbcl is utf-8, regardless of locale.

> I thought I should report all of this knowing that your setup is possibly
> different and things probably work for you. If you can upload and download
> binary images in addition to Unicode text, please send a complete solution (and
> I can send mine, as I already have off-the-list). I also noticed that new
> alan-araneida uses a different setup for sb-unicode (it seems that yours is
> based on it), but it does not seem to address images yet.

I use alan-araneida-testing, current darcs checkout.  It doesn't
address images directly but we can leave araneida alone and treat its
iso-8859-1 strings as unencoded octet strings (every possible value is
legal in iso-8859-1), and recode them to Unicode strings or byte
arrays by hand (for images use (araneida::request-unparsed-body
request)).  I'm currently working on it.

Maybe it would be useful to factor out Unicode/binary functions to
separate file, to allow easy porting to other Unicode-enabled Lisps?

--
__    Maciek Pasternacki <maciekp at japhy.fnord.org> [ http://japhy.fnord.org/ ]
`| _   |_\  / { ...For I was born with a habit, from a sign,