[Bese-devel] yet another question (suggestion?)

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Sat Aug 27 10:46:57 UTC 2005

Friedrich Dominicus <frido at q-software-solutions.de> writes:

> Of course one can generalize it but me things at least this back/forth
> between has to be code explicitly. Am I missing something or is that a
> correct impression?

your impression is correct. ucw does _not_ provide support for mapping
between db abjects and web forms, this is an intentional design
chocie. there are over 18 gazillion ways of doing this mapping, each
with its own pros and cons. i'm not about to chose one and use only
that. i have so far used various db backends (clsql, elephant,
prevalence, ccl:save-application or sb-ext:save-lisp-and-die) and for
each one i've needed a fundamentally different way of mapping the db
objects to web forms.

the presentation facility is my initial (not very successfull) attempt
to automate this job. the way i use the presentations is to a have a
macro, in each application, which creates the clos class, the
presentations, and any db specific infrastructure.

> as I understand lisp-on-lines, the author there has worked for
> autmating this task. Is anyone using lisp-on-lines and can confirm
> that?

i am not activly using lisp-on-lines, though i have looked at it and
believe that your time would be better spent learning drew's code than
the presentation/form stuff i've written.