[Bese-devel] Several beginner's questions

Marco Simon marco_simon at web.de
Tue Aug 2 14:26:19 UTC 2005

Hi ucw-list,

I've been trying to set up and understand the ucw-system for
some days now, but I'm still fighting with some beginners problems.

First of all, the myhost/ucw/examples/index.ucw works fine.

What I don't understand so far:
There are several subdirectories within the /ucw - tree, and
I'm not sure if I got their function right so far.

/ucw/examples/ seems to be the application-directory for the
dynamic-part of the demo-application. This is the place where
I have to change the code if I want to modify the ucw-servers
webpage-output.

/ucw/wwwroot seems to hold some static files (like the stylesheet.css)
as well as some dynamic parts of the demo application (the counter-demo
doesn't work without this directory). Besides that, this directory must be
reachable by apache (or even better must be its document-root) for
serving static files like images and css-files, right ?

/ucw/bin/ holds the start-skript and initialisation-files.
/ucw/logs/ is the place for all ucw log files
/ucw/var/ holds the socket and pid files
/ucw/doc/ is more or less empty. Just keeps some issue and todo-infos.
/ucw/src/ mh - I'm not really clear about this directory's content.

After I got running the /ucw/examples/index.ucw I tried to follow your
great "hello-world" movie. But I'm stuck several times.

The very first problem: My emacs/slime/cmucl environment doesn't know
the it.bese.ucw-user package. So I tried just to do a
(load /home/ucw/src/packages.lisp)
After ignoring the following compilation-errors (via "make this package"):
Type-error in LISP::PAGAGE-OR-LOSE: "IT.BESE.ARNESI" is not of type
PACKAGE
Type-error in LISP::PAGAGE-OR-LOSE: "IT.BESE.YYCLML" is not of type
PACKAGE
Type-error in LISP::PAGAGE-OR-LOSE: "ITERATE" is not of type PACKAGE
I was able to change-package to IT.BESE.UCW-USER.
Next step was typing the first lines of your hello world demo in the
repl (for debugging reasons).
What made me write you this mail finally, was the following error:

CL-USER> (load "/home/ucw/ucw/src/packages.lisp")
CL-USER>
UCW-USER> (in-package :it.bese.ucw-user)
#<The IT.BESE.UCW-USER package, 0/9 internal, 0/2 external>
UCW-USER> (defvar *hello-world* (make-instance
'cookie-session-application :url-prefix "/hello/" ))

Error in function PCL::FIND-CLASS-FROM-CELL:
   No class named COOKIE-SESSION-APPLICATION.
   [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

Restarts:
  0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
  1: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

I guess I've made some fundamental mistake at the very beginning and
I would be glad if you could give some hints and further explication.

Thanks a lot,
 best regards
  Marco Simon