[Bese-devel] Incompatibility in latest UCW and SLIME

Chris Capel pdf23ds at gmail.com
Sat Nov 27 06:00:16 UTC 2004

I'm tracking the head of both UCW and SLIME, with SBCL. SLIME recently
added the external-format keyword to a bunch of different functions,
including swank-backend:accept-connection. Accept-connection is used
by UCW as its socket interface. It doesn't pass an encoding. Either
UCW should pass an encoding, or accept-connection should pick up on
the default *CODING-SYSTEM*, or swank-sbcl.lisp should pick up on it
somewhere. The error I'm getting is in swank-sbcl.lisp,
make-socket-io-stream. External-formal is nil, and thus falls through
the ECASE. Right now, only swank:start-server, create-server, and
create-swank-server pick up on the default coding system.

The argument could be made that SLIME needs a sensible default in this
situation. The argument could be made that UCW needs to be in control
of this sort of thing. I'll leave it to you all.

Chris Capel
--
"What is it like to be a bat? What is it like to bat a bee? What is it
like to be a bee being batted? What is it like to be a batted bee?"