[Bese-devel] Overview of UnCommon Web Archives

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Wed Jul 14 09:52:48 UTC 2004

Anthony Juckel <ajuckel at gmail.com> writes:

> I've known about UCW for some time now, but am just now starting to
> take a closer look at it for development.  In your recent status
> message Marco, you mentioned that the portableaserve backend was
> suffering from some bit rot.  I haven't taken much of a look yet, but
> portableaserve is my web server of choice, so I would be interested in
> hearing more about any specific shortcomings of which you are aware.
> Perhaps I could tinker with fixing those as I get acquainted with the
> system(s).

i'd heard that the acl-compat interface had changed, but i haven't had
a chance to check. it may very well still work perfectly, and if it
doesn't it's probably just a question of changing a few function
names. i'd suggest starting the examples with the aserve backend and
seeing what errors come up.

the asreve backend does however have one major issue: currently it
installs a handler for the entire url path space (everything after the
host), and not just for those directoriees and file types associated
with ucw applications. i don't _think_ this would be a big deal, but i
don't have the time to learn aserve enough to figure out how to do it.

Forget your perfect offering.