[asdf-install-devel] ASDF-install and CL-Yacc: wrong system name

Juliusz Chroboczek Juliusz.Chroboczek at pps.jussieu.fr
Sun Mar 15 12:01:00 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm the author of CL-Yacc, which is ASDF-installable.  Or at least used to
be.

CL-Yacc lives in a tarball called cl-yacc-0.3.tar.gz.  It also lives in
a Debian package called cl-yacc.

Since the ``cl-'' prefix makes no sense in a system name, the system it
defines is called ``yacc'' and lives in a file called ``yacc.asd''.  This
is fine for Debian's Common Lisp stuff.

OTOH, recent versions of ASDF-Install complain that they cannot find the
``cl-yacc'' system.  I'm not going to rename the system, since that would
break my users' code, and I'm not going to include two systems, as that
would cause useless confusion.

I can see two solutions:

1. ASDF-Install could strip the ``cl-'' prefix when searching for a system;
2. there could be a way for the package author (me) to specify the actual
   system name in a metadata file.

Either would be fine with me, as long as people stop e-mailing me with the
problem.

                                        Juliusz