[asdf-install-devel] installation trouble

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Sun Jun 29 19:08:44 UTC 2008

Hi again,

1. In your first e-mail, you wrote:

> (asdf-operate 'asdf:compile-op :asdf-install)

I'm guessing that you meant

> (asdf:operate-on-system 'asdf:compile-op :asdf-install)

or

> (asdf:oos 'asdf:compile-op :asdf-install)

Is that right?

2. You also said that asdf-install is in "/home/micah/lisp-stuff/asdf-
install/asdf-install" and that you have pushed "/usr/share/common-lisp/
systems/" onto asdf:*central-registry*. Unless asdf can find asdf-
install.asd, it won't be able to load it. You can get ASDF to find the
system file by either

   a. making sure that the directory in which the system file lives is
in asdf:*central-registry* OR
   b. loading it yourself.

Getting #a to work would involve adding (pushnew "/home/micah/lisp-
stuff/asdf-install/asdf-install"  asdf:*central-registry*) whereas #b
would involve adding (load "/home/micah/lisp-stuff/asdf-install/asdf-
install/asdf-install.asd"). Once you do either of these, you should be
able to (asdf:find-system 'asdf-install) and also (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-
op 'asdf-install).

(Note that you probably want load-op, not compile-op. Compiling
doesn't necessarily load the newly compiled files into your lisp image
whereas running load-op will first compile and then load.)

Please let me know if this makes sense, helps, or is more barking up
th wrong tree.

regards,