[asdf-install-devel] Patch for Windows tar execution

Dan Muller pikdj2002 at sneakemail.com
Thu Nov 29 05:02:43 UTC 2007

Gary King writes:

> Unless there are complaints or worries, I'll upload everything in the
> next day or so.

Cool. Are you going to set up an unstable repository, as Attila
suggested?

I have a follow-up patch that I just sent you. (Actually, the email
will include both patches, since I sent it "to" your online
repository. Since this patch depends on the first one, and the target
repo doesn't have the first one yet, Darcs won't let me send the
second one along. Clever.)

This patch actually removes *CYGWIN-BASH-PROGRAM*. To my surprise, I
just noticed a little while ago that this variable was never
exported. Instead, *CYGWIN-BASH-COMMAND* is exported, but is neither
defined nor referenced. Probably a typo in a previous patch. I feel a
bit silly about failing to notice this while working on the first
patch.

Anyway, since the first variable was never exported or documented, I
assume that it's OK and cleaner to just remove it instead of leaving
the warning in there. Anyone that is setting an unexported variable
from outside its package forfeits the right to be annoyed if the
symbol disappears. ;-)

> Thanks again for your work (and thanks to all the other contributors
> too!).

My pleasure, and thank /you/ for maintaining ASDF-INSTALL. This will
probably be my first accepted OS contribution. I'm ludicrously pleased
that it's in Lisp. :-)

I'll send along patches for the further refinements that I described
in the next few days, being as careful as I can to preserve the
existing behavior of exported and/or documented features. At some
point I would like to start a discussion here about how UNINSTALL
does/should/could work.

--
Dan Muller