[asdf-install-devel] Dealing with tar on Windows.

Dan Muller pikdj2002 at sneakemail.com
Mon Nov 12 18:40:22 UTC 2007

Thanks for feedback!

On 11/12/2007, Gary King wrote:

>One question I have is whether cygwin is required for these patches
>to work (I'm guessing that this is the only way currently to get tar
>support so that the answer is no)?

With this set of changes, Cygwin is not required.  Instead of assuming
that Cygwin is installed in a particular place, ASDF-INSTALL will now
work if there's a tar executable somewhere in the path that can handle
native paths -- or whatever it is that NAMESTRING returns in the running
Lisp implementation -- and the --force-local option. I assume that the
--force-local option is specific to Gnu tar.

Of course, the most obvious way to get a Gnu tar on Windows is still to
install Cygwin. I don't know if there are other ports around these days.

>A darcs patch is the preferred method but diffs are OK too.

Good, I'll try to set aside time to put together a recursive diff soon,
perhaps this evening. I picked up the latest tarball from Cliki before I
started this work yesterday, hopefully that's an adequate basis for the
diffs.

I should probably offer updates to the docs, too, but I won't delay for
that right now.