[asdf-install-devel] darcs support

Attila Lendvai attila.lendvai at gmail.com
Tue Oct 17 13:48:19 UTC 2006

> However, I think that it would be better to keep ASDF-Install as simple as
> possible and create a new project with all the bells and whistles. The main
> reason for this is that ASDF-Install is already forked (the SBCL version and
> the Portable version and perhaps the OpenMCL version) and this adds to
> confusion as people evaluate Lisps.

well, we should also consider the confusion added by having numerous
projects for the same tasks. (i can't stop thinking of the situation with
usocket and trivial-sockets). this brings questions, discussions about the
situation, etc...

instead i would try to resolve the situation with the branches. i'm sure
there would be no trouble with sbcl, just look at how the official asdf
plays well with sbcl. i have this in my env.lisp to replace
asdf.lispshipped with sbcl to the one from my repo:

#+sbcl
(eval-when (:compile-toplevel :load-toplevel)
  (let ((asdf-file (probe-file (merge-pathnames "asdf/asdf.lisp"
*workspace-dir*))))
    (when asdf-file
      (defun update-asdf ()
        (delete-package :asdf)
        (let ((*features* (cons :sbcl-hooks-require *features*)))
          (load (compile-file asdf-file))))
      (update-asdf))))

So my suggestion would be to pick a new name (for example phloog or wrackd
> (which aren't taken as  domain names as of a few weeks ago <smile>)) and
> start a design effort.

this too needs extra efforts, setting up a repo, etc... that could be used
for coding instead.

> The trouble, as usual, is that I expect that most of the most interested
> parties are feeling the time crunch. I know I am.

how true... :(

especially that i don't even use adsf-install myself. i always ended up
checking out repos of everything, so now i start with that.

--
- attila

"- The truth is that I've been too considerate, and so became
unintentionally cruel...
- I understand.
- No, you don't understand! We don't speak the same language!"
(Ingmar Bergman - Smultronstället)