[asdf-install-devel] darcs support

Gary King gwking at metabang.com
Tue Oct 17 13:30:28 UTC 2006

> i've been playing with the idea of adding darcs support to asdf-
> install. unfortunately i don't have that much free time to jump
> right into it, so i sum up my ideas and design plan, so maybe
> someone feels like hacking on it. if there are other interested
> people we could use this mail as a scratch doc, feel free to add/
> change whatever you feel like is missing/wrong, but please start
> your reply as a forward so the mail will not be full of reply-
> annotations.

I'm strongly in favor of enhancing ASDF-Install to support multiple
source code access routes above and beyond tarballs pointed at by the
CLiki.

However, I think that it would be better to keep ASDF-Install as
simple as possible and create a new project with all the bells and
whistles. The main reason for this is that ASDF-Install is already
forked (the SBCL version and the Portable version and perhaps the
OpenMCL version) and this adds to confusion as people evaluate Lisps.

So my suggestion would be to pick a new name (for example phloog or
wrackd (which aren't taken as  domain names as of a few weeks ago
<smile>)) and start a design effort.

The trouble, as usual, is that I expect that most of the most
interested parties are feeling the time crunch. I know I am.
--
Gary Warren King, metabang.com
Cell: (413) 885 9127