Rejiggering the branches

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Mon Jul 12 18:56:19 UTC 2021

On 12 Jul 2021, at 13:36, Faré wrote:

> Would the "stable" branch be any different from the "release" branch?
> If it's actually a not-so-stable development branch for 3.3 while a
> separate branch contains development for 3.4, then maybe indeed
> calling branches v3.3 and v3.4 make more sense.

Yes, it would, because this branch would be where we put fixes to the
released branch while, on `main`, we develop code for 3.4.

I was thinking of not calling the branch `v3.3` because if we ever get
past 3.4, we would want a maintenance branch for 3.4, while `main` would
be for 3.5 or 4 depending on what the future holds.

I have a mild preference for having the maintenance branch, whatever we
call it, just point to whatever has been released and is accumulating
bug fixes.  I figured that having a `stable` would be like having a
`main`, instead of renaming `main` to whatever the upcoming version
number is.  Just like Debian has `stable` and `testing`, but the precise
meaning of these changes over time.

I'm willing to be argued out of this, as I was argued out of `dev` in
favor of `main`, but I am not convinced by the arguments for `v3.3`
versus `stable` yet.  What makes us need `v3.3` instead of stable if we
don't need `v3.4` instead of `main`?

> —♯ƒ • François-René ÐVB Rideau •Reflection&Cybernethics•
> http://fare.tunes.org
> The knowable universe is everything, as far as we can know.

>>> In the first email you said that the purpose of that branch was to
>>> permit continuation of the 3.3 release series, so maybe call the
>>> branch
>>> "v3.3"?  That way, there can be multiple such branches without