Rejiggering the branches

Martin Simmons martin at lispworks.com
Mon Jul 12 16:13:16 UTC 2021

> As we move forward, and try to add some new facilities to ASDF, this
> seems like a good time to revise the branching structure that we use.
>
> In particular, I would like to add a `stable` branch that will permit
> continuation of the 3.3 release series, the need for which is
> illustrated by Mark E's recent merge request.

OK, but once you name something "stable", can you change it very much?  What
happens when the development branch contains something that is stable enough
to call stable again?  If you intend this branch to be the 3.3 release series
then using numbers in the name might be preferable.

> If we are going to make that change, it seems like a good time to rename
> the `master` branch to either `main` or `dev`.  Any preferences?

I suggest calling it main like many other projects, unless you intend to do
all development on a non-default branch and use main for something else.
Using the same name as other projects makes it easier to find it.

--
Martin Simmons
LispWorks Ltd