uiop:launch-program fails to run sudo without -S

Jason Miller jason at milr.com
Tue Jan 12 17:57:40 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-01-12 at 10:15 -0600, Phoebe Goldman wrote:
> Emacs by default allocates a pty for subprocesses. There’s no way to
> do this portably, as many Lisps don’t support it, so UIOP won’t help
> you here. If you’re on SBCL and portability is not a concern, you can
> use sb-ext:run-program with a :pty keyword argument, as described in
> section 7.7.3 of the SBCL manual. Failing that, it’s probably best to
> use sudo -S.

While it looks like Pierre has his own solution, I thought I would
mention this for posterity on the list: "script" is a relatively
portable unix command that will allocate a pty for running.  If you
need a pty on a unix then it's probably your best-bet if you don't want
to be tied to sb-ext:run-program.