uiop:launch-program fails to run sudo without -S

Pierre Neidhardt mail at ambrevar.xyz
Tue Jan 12 16:01:12 UTC 2021

Hi!

I'd like to run a "sudo" command from Common Lisp.  The following works:

(uiop:launch-program '("sudo" "-S" "ls" "/root") :input :stream :output *standard-output*)
(format (uiop:process-info-input #v1) "MY-PASSWORD~%")
(finish-output (uiop:process-info-input #v1))

Note that I'm using the "-S" parameter of sudo.  From the man page:

> Write the prompt to the standard error and read the password
> from the standard input instead of using the terminal device.

Without it, "sudo" terminate immediately.

Somehow, Emacs _does_ support calling the sudo process without the "-S"
flag.  Try this:

(make-process :name "dummy" :command '("sudo" "ls" "/root"))

and the "sudo" process is kindly waiting for input in the background.

Any idea why that is?
Is it be possible to do the same in Common Lisp?

Cheers!

--
Pierre Neidhardt
https://ambrevar.xyz/