Question about version in submitting patches

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 18:39:44 UTC 2020

To be clear, I did not introduce semantic versioning in ASDF, Dan
Barlow, the original author did. Actually, by making ASDF 2 and ASDF 3
explicitly backward-compatible with their predecessors, I violated the
rule that says that a major version change equates to API
incompatibility, and indeed had to change the definition of
version-compatible-p accordingly (and many other systems defied this
rule). A rule that makes sense for library ABI compatibility but not
so much for source-level compatibility.

Also, an advantage of the current ASDF numbering scheme is that it
makes it clear WHICH version from the trunk you've been forking out
of. That only makes sense if there is a strong trunk and branches that
don't deviate too much from it, of course, but that's always been the
goal for ASDF.

Finally, no, please do NOT include your local versions in your merge
requests. It doesn't help at all and it hinders a lot.

It is deplorable that many people think that the best way to improve the world
is to forbid something. However, they're morally more advanced than the people
who think the best way to improve the world is to kill somebody.
        — John McCarthy