Unexpected error ..

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.info
Thu Nov 26 19:57:16 UTC 2020

On 26 Nov 2020, at 13:18, gwbennett wrote:

> Good morning from Greg Bennett who is running sbcl 2.0.10 under linux
> mint 19.2 64-bit
> and using asdf 3.3.6 with mcclim from mcclim-20201016-git via
> quicklisp.
>
> I am working on a large project and wish to capture the results of a
> trial compile in a file
> so that I can check notes, warnings, errors, etc.. Such a compile
> essentially loops over
> a set of asdf load-systems.
>
> Not unnaturally for me, I make mistakes, and sometimes I get blocked
> by an unexpected error
> which I believe I have managed to isolate.
>
> I am quite unsure about the locus of the unexpected error .. asdf ?
> sbcl ? mcclim ? their interaction ?
> so I am starting with asdf-devel.
>
> I am uncertain how much to include by way of source files, so i have
> opted to summarise things here first.
>
> New sbcl 2.0.10 in emacs listener
>
> Load a set-up-file to ensure I am using asdf 3.3.6 [I gather this is
> significant for sbcl]. And some of
> my own logging tools. Two files attached.

Do you mean 3.3.3.6?  The current pre-released version is 3.3.4.7...
(the fourth component is just for internal reference, releases are
always x.y.z).

> Load mcclim
>
> Running (in-package :cl-user)
>
>  (a-l "mcclim" "doit" (doit) "Z" :base-name
> "/home/gwbennett/mcclim-code/")
>
> which has the effect of writing the results to a file, in this case
>
> /home/gwbennett/LOGS/MCCLIM/MCCLIM2020-lsbcl-to-Z-26-NOV-at-14:5:2.lsp"
>
> The process exits with:
>
> ; wrote
> /home/gwbennett/.cache/common-lisp/sbcl-2.0.10-linux-x64/home/gwbennett/mcclim-code/check-qmb/one/test-qmb-tmpJU0JWO19.fasl
> ; compilation finished in 0:00:00.051
> ; No value
>
> Now suppose I do something which contains an error, such as
> CL-USER> (asdf-version)
>
> Since (asdf-version) is not in the cl-user package, this is an error.
> What I get back is a different error message:
>
> #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "file
> /home/gwbennett/LOGS/MCCLIM/MCCLIM2020-lsbcl-to-Z-26-NOV-at-14:5:2.lsp"
> {1008BEC8A3}> is closed
>    [Condition of type SB-INT:CLOSED-STREAM-ERROR]

I'm not sure how you are writing the output to your transcript file
(MCCLIM2020-lsbcl-to-Z-26-NOV-at-14:5:2.lsp) but it looks like the
stream to that file is being closed, and then you are continuing to try
to write to it.

I can't give you more advice without knowing how, specifically, you are
handling this file.  But it does not seem likely that this is an ASDF
problem -- it looks like a problem with file handling.  I'd guess that
somewhere the file is being closed, either by you, or as some kind of
side-effect of other computation (e.g., leaving `with-open-file` or some
other scoping).  Or... maybe you are using some image-building operation
that causes the lisp session to be compromised?

> Which is my unexpected error. Sometimes after ABORT (twice), this
> error can block me from defining any new function or loading a new
> function .. all I receive is a repeat of this message.
>
> Thank you for your patience
> Cheers
> Greg Bennett

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net