Lowercase naming requirement for systems?

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Tue Feb 19 21:18:06 UTC 2019

Yes, these are good points, and that's why I have pushed an update to
the manual.  Please have a look at the "The defsystem grammar" ASDF
manual page here:

https://www.common-lisp.net/project/asdf/asdf/The-defsystem-grammar.html#The-defsystem-grammar

Only the first four entries have changed.

Please also have a look at the subsections immediately below: 6.3.1,
6.3.2, and 6.3.3.

I would welcome any comments you (or anyone receiving this message --
the more the merrier!) have.  The previous discussion was not as clear
as it should have been.

The manual could definitely use an extensive overhaul, but this band-aid
is well better than nothing.

Best regards,
Robert

On 19 Feb 2019, at 13:30, Robert Dodier wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 4:08 PM Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net>
> wrote:
>
>> It's actually there, at least if you are looking for it.
>
> In my own defense: I did look for it and I did find that text, but
> didn't find it helpful. It says the name of a system is conventionally
> lowercase -- this is not the same as saying that it is required to be
> lowercase.
>
> I found the text about pathname specifiers as well. I didn't see a
> requirement there because neither the system name nor component names
> were specified by the grammar or the commentary on the grammar to be
> pathname specifiers.
>
> Thanks again for your help,
> Robert Dodier

Robert P. Goldman
Research Fellow
Smart Information Flow Technologies (d/b/a SIFT, LLC)

319 N. First Ave., Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401

Voice:	(612) 326-3934
Email:    rpgoldman at SIFT.net