how to distinguish public vs private (entry-point vs internal) systems

Jim Newton jnewton at lrde.epita.fr
Wed Feb 6 15:02:51 UTC 2019

I’m both asking how they should be named, and how to advertise them for programmatic consumption.
For example, and automatic testing program such as that included in quicklisp, should not try to stand-alone
load systems which are not designed to work stand-alone.   We have to work around this by artificially
making all systems “work” in standalone enough to fool quicklisp.

quickref is another tool which tries to publish documentation extracted from packages, but quickref would
like to skip packages which are not part of the public API, such as test case packages which may require
other non-public testing frameworks.

It would be nice if asdf had some declarative way of specifying which systems are intended as entry points.
That would also avoid different people relying on non-standard naming conventions to encode declarative
information.