"deprecated recursive use" warning

Attila Lendvai attila at lendvai.name
Wed Mar 21 11:25:35 UTC 2018

> I think the Right Thing is to realize that what ASDF does is not so much
> transform files, as to maintain the consistency of the running lisp image.
> Now, in no case does the running lisp image need either the JSON generation
> system or the JSON to lisp translation system. All the running lisp image
> needs to function correctly is an up-to-date lisp file produced by this
> pipeline. So....

this is a very useful insight, thanks for formulating it explicitly!
it's a good candidate for an introductory bird's eye view section of
the manual.

i already made the JSON generation a separate operation, and now i'm
considering to do the same with the JSON -> lisp generation.

in a way it makes sense: the lib author tested the code that he
saw. if the lisp generation gets changed/fixed (by a new patch to
CFFI), it may even break the rest of the lib that may be running with
some old assumptions... so, maybe it's better to just make both of
those as a separate process that needs to be initiated by the lib
author explicitly, and then checked into the git history.

> Once you think about what ASDF does and doesn't do, I think this makes
> perfect sense. But, of course, it might be a big pain to do so.

yeah, it feels like a lot of pain. it would be nice if there was a
fork-like API in ASDF for implementing such exec'd compilation, but
then i guess ASDF itself has no clue which /foo/bin/ directory has the
underlying lisp binary, and/or which lisp to launch at all, let alone
how...

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39