spurious reloads with systems not following the foo/bar naming convention?

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Wed Jan 31 04:16:20 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Attila Lendvai <attila at lendvai.name> wrote:
>> I believe this is the bug that was fixed in 3.3.1.3.
>
> FYI, there's no such tag pushed into the official repo.
> https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf/tags

Robert and I failed to push the 3.3.1.2 and 3.3.1.3 tags. This is now fixed.
But the code was already there in master, and should contain a bug
to the issue you're experiencing (with my apologies again).

> using HEAD, the test case i sent doesn't fail anymore, but our own
> issue still prevails. it's a large environment with many systems, but
> the symptom looks the same, although for us due to cxml.

If the issue is the c2ffi issue, see the other thread.

> i couldn't easily test with an older version of ASDF because my SBCL
> already ships with 3.3.0.1 (preventing an easy downgrade), but it used
> to work until recently.

One weird trick: use the install-asdf script to overwrite your SBCL's
asdf with an older (or newer) version.

> after i edit cxml.asd to follow the foo/bar convention, i see a few of
> these, that may or may not be the cause of the spurious reload that i
> still see:
>
> WARNING:
>   Computing just-done stamp in plan NIL for action
>   (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:COMPILE-OP "iolib/syscalls" "ffi-types"), but
>   dependency (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:PREPARE-OP "iolib/syscalls"
>   "ffi-types") wasn't done yet!
>
> WARNING:
>    Computing just-done stamp in plan NIL for action
>    (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:COMPILE-OP "iolib/os" "ffi-types"), but
>    dependency (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:PREPARE-OP "iolib/os" "ffi-types")
>    wasn't done yet!
>
> WARNING:
>    Computing just-done stamp in plan NIL for action
>    (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:COMPILE-OP "iolib/sockets" "grovel"), but
>    dependency (ASDF/LISP-ACTION:PREPARE-OP "iolib/sockets" "grovel")
>    wasn't done yet!
>
> please note that this is not a burning issue for us, it's just a
> friendly heads up with the hopes that it's useful.

Thanks for raising the issue while ASDF is still in my L3 cache.

A word for the epoch of free software and universal publishing:
voluntocracy n 1. governance by those who do the work. 2. the volunteers
who do the work. — Aubrey Jaffer, http://swissnet.ai.mit.edu/~jaffer/