wild-package-inferred-system

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 23:58:41 UTC 2018

On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 9:21 PM Hugo Ishimaru <privet.kitty99 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have made an extension of package-inferred-system that interprets
> star `*' and globstar `**' in a package name, which I will use in the
> future for my library.
> https://github.com/privet-kitty/wild-package-inferred-system
> (My motivation is to eliminate the need for manually creating
> `foo/.../all'-type subsystems that exist only to use-reexport all
> .lisp files.)

I'm not convinced this is a good idea, but then again I don't
understand your use case.

> In accordance with the ASDF Best Practices by Faré, I let you know the
> non-exported facilities of ASDF I had to used: PRIMARY-SYSTEM-P,
> *DEFPACKAGE-FORMS*, *PACKAGE-INFERRED-SYSTEMS*, AROUND-COMPILE-HOOK,
> RELATIVE-PATHNAME.

You should ask Robert, who is maintainer, but yes, it makes sense to
export these from package ASDF.

> I would appreciate any suggestion or correction for the design and
> implementation of this extension, of course.

A very cursory glance finds nothing wrong with your implementation. I
don't love the mismatch between your treatment of wild and the
completely unportable treatment of wild by underlying implementations,
but that's not your fault.

Also, why don't you use package-inferred-system for your system? :-)

Would you be interested in becoming ASDF co-maintainer and slowly take
over from Robert and I?

I don't want to belong to any club that will accept me as a member — Groucho