Building from clean on Allegro Windows

Faré fahree at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 16:05:53 UTC 2018

I couldn't reproduce with AllegroExpress 10.1 on Linux amd64.
So I gave a closer look on the Windows VM, rm'ing all the files in
build/results/
before I retried, and looked at the minimal logs for the issue.

The warnings were a false lead: Allegro does issue them, but they are actually
caught by the build system, so were not the issue.
The real issue was that allegro was looking for alisp.exe.dxl instead
of alisp.dxl.
I thus modified run-tests.sh so it will handle this case with more care.

All the tests then passed except test-multiple (which works for me on Linux).
Unsurprisingly, I see test-multiple uses ln -s and has an ugly
workaround on Windows
that doesn't work on sbcl, either. I moved it from using ln -s to using copies,
which modified the behavior in ways I admit I don't fully comprehend.
I documented the parts I did understand.

test-multiple exercises a really dark corner of the design, anyway,
one that we're trying to deprecate, badly-named secondary systems.

You may easily play a joke on a man who likes to argue — agree with him.
                — Edgar Waston Howe