Running asdf-3.3 aka 'plan' with ABCL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 16 20:25:03 UTC 2017

After a bit of analysis, I have [my first issue to report][1] with
running asdf-3.3 (aka [the plan branch][2]) on [ABCL][3].

The problem stems from the new--and quite sensible--restriction that any
[code in a ASDF:PERFORM cannot call into another ASDF:PERFORM operation][4].

QUICKLISP-ABCL's ability to encapsulate the load of Quicklisp in an ASDF
definition has been quite useful to me, and I'd hate to abandon it.  Of
course I could stuff the code ensuring Quicklisp's local installation in
an the ABCL specific package, but maybe there is another way to
encapsulate this situation in ASDF?  Otherwise, it would seem that ASDF
loses a little functionality here with the current asdf-3.3, which
possibly might be the tradeoff for a more deterministic plan over all
operations.  But it would be nice to "allow allowing" here…

[1]: https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/mevenson/asdf/issues/1
[2]: https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/asdf/asdf/tree/plan
[3]:
https://gitlab.common-lisp.net/mevenson/asdf/uploads/3039ebfe40dc111a3ab6d061186a16fe/asdf-3.3.diff