Upgrade failures for asdf-3.1.7 and later

Robert Goldman rpgoldman at sift.net
Wed May 3 20:49:27 UTC 2017

On 5/3/17 May 3 -2:30 PM, Daniel Kochmański wrote:
> Is there any chance for specification of the "core ASDF protocol" -
> subset guaranteed to not change every few years, so one may write today
> systems which will be loadadable in the future?

This question really isn't germane to the original post.  The original
post was a question about online upgrade, which is simply impossible in
some cases.

If you would like to raise this issue again, I suggest doing it with a
subject line that more correctly fits the topic.

That said, the core ASDF protocol really hasn't changed much at all.
Most of the changes have been extensions.  The few exceptions lie with
deprecated lower-level interfaces.  A first step to stabilizing this
would be to document all of the interface functions, variables, and
classes.  But that's a lot of work.  The documentation is getting
better, but slowly.

Best,