Random ASDF component question

Faré fare at tunes.org
Thu Jun 29 23:02:46 UTC 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 6:55 PM, Robert Goldman <rpgoldman at sift.net> wrote:
> Sorry to bother you, but why is it that the BUILD-OPERATION is attached
> to COMPONENT instead of SYSTEM?

Probably the will to generalize too much on my part. That said,
(asdf:make '("some-system" "module" "component")) will probably work,
and should probably keep working, even if BUILD-OPERATION has a
default method returning NIL on non-system components.

At some point, I must have believed that going inside systems, instead
of secondary systems, would be the standard way to get things done
that don't involve building everything.

A language that doesn't affect the way you think about programming,
is not worth knowing.           — Alan Perlis